This excerpt from an inventory of an elegant house in Mexico City was ordered by don Antonio Rodríguez de Pedroso, Count of San Bartolomé Xala, in the spring of 1784—not long after the death of his wife, doña Gertrudis Ignacia de la Cotera y Rivascacha. Their house had been built in the prosperous center of Mexico City in 1763 by the celebrated architect Lorenzo Rodríguez; it still stands today, on the Calle Venustiano Carranza, and a photograph can be found in the Vistas
gallery. Much of the property in the Xala house would be given to their daughter, María Josefa Rodríguez de Pedroso, as part of her dowry when she married.
The writers of this inventory were interested in the monetary value of the work, and for them, two criteria were foremost: the quality of the frame, and the size. Unlike today, the fame of the artist did not determine the value of the painting; in fact, this inventory names not a single artist.