A monastic garden in Puebla, ca. 1760

English Translation
The friars have a spacious orchard of fruit trees for their relaxation and enjoyment. It was created when the city council of Puebla granted the monastery two lots in 1596, along with irrigation water from the spring called “San Pablo” which I described before. To collect and store the water, they have built a large reservoir bordered on all sides by brick walkways, so that one can walk along all of its sides, where there are seats in well apportioned places so that one can rest. Almost all of the trees of this orchard are good-quality and healthy, and had been brought from the friars’ great orchard in the town of San Angel, in the hills of the Valley of Mexico, which have grown well in this orchard. Today, the orchard is the main source that the friars have of support, because of the great use to which they put the fruit, as it is sold seasonally in their portal by a lay friar chosen for the task.    

Spanish Original
Tienen los Religiosos para su desahogo y recreo una espaciosa huerta de frutales para cuyo exensión les mercedó la cuidad otros dos solares el año de 1586 y agua para su riego, del ojo que llaman de Sn. Pablo de que hablé en su lugar y para recogerla y distribuirla tienen un gran estanque cuadrado con sus andenes o corredores enladrillados para pasearse por todos sus lados y sus asientos en sitios proporcionados para descanso. Casi todos las árboles de esta huerta son perales de varias y buenas calidades, cuyas plantas han traído de sus gran huerta del Pueblo de Sn. Angel en los altos de México y han prevalecido muy bien en ésta y es en el día el mejor fondo que tienen para su subsistencia, por la gran utilidad que sacan de la fruta expediendola por menudo en su portería, por mano de un Religioso Lego, que destinan para ello.    








Library > 16th Century    > 17th Century    > 18th Century